This is a publicly shared Knowledge Article from the Power of Us Hub - an online community for nonprofit and higher ed Salesforce users. Join the Hub .
If you are new to Salesforce and the Nonprofit Success Pack:
- Visit the Salesforce.org trials page.
- Fill out the form and click Submit.
If you already have NPSP, and want to upgrade:Follow the step-by-step upgrade instructions (complete with screenshots) in the Nonprofit Success Pack Upgrade Guide.
If you already have Salesforce, but don't have NPSP:You can install NPSP on any "empty" version of Salesforce Enterprise Edition. However, this process is only recommended for experienced Salesforce Admins. If at all possible, sign up for a new trial version of NPSP instead. (Instructions above.)
- If you start over with a new trial version of NPSP as recommended (instead of installing on top of your existing org), you'll need to transfer any data or configuration over from the old org to the new one. Additionally, you'll need to transfer your licenses to the new trial org by emailing one of the following:
- If you obtained a "clean slate" Salesforce trial directly from salesforce.com, you might have Professional or Group Edition. Before attempting to install the Nonprofit Success Pack, you might want to double-check your edition. In Salesforce Setup, enter Company Profile in the Quick Find box, then click on Company Profile. You should see your edition listed at the top of the page.
- Salesforce does not recommend installing upgrades directly in production organizations. Instead, install your NPSP upgrade in one of your free sandbox environments, or a developer organization first. See Create or Refresh a Sandbox in Salesforce Help for more information.
- Visit the NPSP Installer page.
- Log in to your Salesforce organization by clicking Log In, choosing Production or Developer Edition org or Sandbox org, and entering your login credentials.
- Review the installation list and click Install.
IMPORTANT: Make sure you consult these post-install instructions once you've completed your upgrade.
The Fine Print
The Nonprofit Success Pack is an open-source, BSD-licensed package. Developer contributions and involvement are welcomed and encouraged! Salesforce.org hosts all packages and source code on GitHub using git. You can find all code as well as tags, issues lists, and release notes in the code repository. You can find contributor instructions on the Salesforce.org GitHub wiki.